Tuesday, January 11, 2022

How 'bout them Dawgs!

 


I’m basking in the glory of the first Georgia Bulldogs National Championship since 1981, when I was 12 years old. I have many great memories of that last championship season. My sister, also a UGA grad, took me to the Auburn game that year where we clinched the SEC championship and a spot in the Sugar Bowl where we went on to beat Notre Dame 13-10. After we won the game the UGA cheerleaders threw sugar packets into the stands.

I remember watching the Georgia – Florida game that year with my mom and the Buck Belue to Lindsay Scott pass that won the game. Watch the clip and listen to Larry Munson call the play here. My memories of those two games are much more vivid than the national championship game.

After a late night I was up at about 5:30 and got the newspaper off the driveway. The front page told me that Georgia was playing for the National Championship against Alabama and that fans sure hope we will win. I’m old enough to remember when they would hold press time for the morning paper when big news was breaking. And for lifelong UGA fans, it doesn’t get any bigger. The front page of the AJC online edition was much better and posted here. Great picture, but it’s not quite the same.

The game ended in the final minutes of my birthday. I’d been telling folks for the last several days that all I wanted for my birthday was a National Championship, and I got it!! Along with two bottles of bourbon and a two pound bag of Twizzlers. Seriously.

My son picked up a t-shirt for me on the way home from his friend’s house last night and of course I wore it on all my calls today. It’s nice, high quality, but I sure hope it doesn’t have to last me another 41 years.

Go Dawgs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment